San Diego Yacht Club Members offered FREE EPIRB & PLB battery replacement service.
Just pay for the price of the battery and we will replace and re-certify your beacon within 2-4 days.
Batteries for ACR Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB) should be replaced every five years to ensure proper functioning. Turnaround time for EPIRB services averages five days from receipt.
EPIRB and PLB Batteries serviced
- 1096 (LiSO2) Sat2 406™ RapidFix Class 1 (RLB-32/33) - $285.00 (Left)
- 1098.1 (LiSO2) GlobalFix™ Class 1, (RLB-35) - $285.00 (Right)
The expected lifetime on a new battery (from ACR) is five years.
Price may vary based on the model serviced and shipping cost.
Our full battery replacement service includes
- Battery Replacement Parts
- ACR Certified Battery Replacement Service
- Test Verification Report
- Full physical integrity check
- Pressure test and inspection for cracks and fractures
- RF/Data transmission test
- Hydro Sensor Test
- Weight test and proper balancing of internal components
- Replacement of cap seal and o-rings
- Installation of the new battery
- Disposal of the old battery
Notes for battery replacement customers
We carry a limited stock of batteries to insure a five year guarantee on every replacement we perform. Turnaround times may vary if stock is not available at the time of service.
Please be aware that any EPIRB or PLB sent for repair with a cracked or fractured housing will have to be sent to ACR Electronics in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for replacement, which may extend the turnaround time.
When shipping your EPIRB for battery replacement, please be sure to remove and include the antenna by following these instructions:
- Gently Remove the antenna by unscrewing at the base.
- Secure antenna to the body of your EPIRB with rubber band or tape prior to packaging.
Return shipping to HI, AK, PR and all US Territories is higher, please contact us for a shipping quote.
Attention international customers
The Customs Value for return shipments is the actual amount paid for battery replacement service. Any VAT or other customs taxes assessed by the receiving country are the responsibility of the customer.
How do I know when the battery is due for replacement?
- There is a battery expiration date label on every beacon.
Can I buy a battery from you and replace it myself?
- No. The battery cannot be purchased. This is a life saving device and you need to have the tools, hardware and software to perform a battery replacement.
Full functional testing is done on the unit, after the battery is replaced, to make sure that the unit will last another 5 years in the field.
What will happen if I do not replace the battery every five years?
- The chances of surviving a life threatening situation is greatly diminished if proper care and maintenance is not given to a beacon.
Do I have to replace the battery if the beacon goes off by mistake and why?
- Yes, as this is a lifesaving device it should be diligently maintained to perform as specified. For this unit to transmit for the full 48 hours
it will need a new battery as any inadvertent activation will deplete the existing battery.
Where do I dispose of a beacon battery?
- For information about disposal of lithium batteries or products with lithium batteries in them, please contact your local waste management company.